Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Anti-Racism

Macroeconomics is easy to write about. Racism is not.

Luckily, I have some good friends who have introduced me to the concept of anti-racism. I read a book by Judy Picoult called small great things. I recently read pieces by Jonathan Kanter and Ben Danielson.

No, it doesn’t make me an expert. But it’s enough to get me thinking. You are my friends and I like to share my thinking with you. Even if it is not macro.

Anti-racism is a new term to me. It simply means that you no longer are willing to put up with racism. I don’t consider myself a racist but then most of us don’t. Anti-racism makes you a little more action-oriented. It means when you come across a racist action you don’t sit quietly – it means you confront it.

Confronting it does not mean you have to punch someone or embarrass a person in front of others. Being anti-racist means you do it in your own way. I will probably never walk in a parade, carry a sign, or shout slogans, but I can find ways to speak with people or to write about what I see and hear. That’s my way. You might prefer to take part in public activities or maybe you want to fight with those advancing racism. Each should find their way – but anti-racism implies you find some way that is compatible with your personality and knowledge.

Why take on anti-racism? Why not let other people do it? My answer to that is that there is still much to do so that black* people feel as natural and comfortable as white people in going about their business. Talk to a black friend about that. His experience is not the same as yours.

Sure, much has changed since I was a boy growing up in Miami. Or much has changed since I graduated from Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I recall that Lester Maddox, before he became Governor of Georgia, owned a restaurant in Atlanta. He became famous for giving axe handles to his white patrons to use against any black people who tried to eat in his barbq restaurant. Much has changed since blacks sat in the back of buses.

Even more has changed at workplaces where we find more black persons working side by side with white colleagues. But it doesn’t take much effort to find vast differences in the ways whites and blacks live. A residual blanket of racism lies almost everywhere we care to look. Even if it is simply the numbers. When you go into a restaurant, a bar or Wendys, most of the people are just like you, white. That’s not prejudice but it does speak to the different ways we experience life.

I used to think to myself that if I did it and Russell Wilson did it, then why can’t more blacks do it? I grew up Jewish in a time when Jews were not loved much more than blacks. I got myself educated and I played by all the rules and everything turned out fine. 

But this is self-deception. I had two parents who were perfect parents. No they weren’t high income, but they came from traditions and families that passed down success traits. They did not come from dangerous neighborhoods and they did not teach us to shy away from white people. They did not teach us to be afraid that because of our skin color we might be suspected or accused of things we didn’t do.

Some like to use the term white privilege and I used to recoil at that. I used to hate the term institutional racism. But those reactions come from one who has always benefited from being white. Of course, I didn’t want to admit that I was advantaged. And sure, I had to work hard to get into and get out of Georgia Tech. But that’s not the point. It is not so much that I gained an advantage. It is more that so many other people were left out of that. In comparison to what many blacks were facing, my achievements were a walk in the park. Call it institutional racism or call it white privilege or call it black prejudice, what matters is that there exists a tilted field.

Maybe it isn’t tilted as much as before but it is still tilted. And that’s why we can’t sit on our hands. When an artist roughs in a landscape, she draws the big picture. After that takes form, she can work on the details of the ducks and the geese on the pond. We have drawn the landscape of a more equal society; now we need to address all the remaining details.

It will be hard for a government to do that and that is what I find so compelling about anti-racism. It says that each of us can play a part. Like in the famous whack-a-mole game – when we see something pop up, we whack it to the ground. A few years of racial whack-a-mole, we might make some headway.

A personal note to end on. Sometimes my friends note or joke that my move to Seattle has changed me. In economics terms, I always considered myself a moderate or a conservative. But never was I conservative when it came to race. Marge and Sonny Davidson, my parents, wouldn’t have it. I tried to raise my children that way too. But I am tired of telling people I am not a racist because it doesn’t mean anything. Today I see the point. Not being a racist isn't enough. Being anti-racist means that I will do what I can to work against racism around me. I hope you will too.

*I use the term black people here and I realize that term might not be the best way to describe the issue. Surely there are other people of color not to mention others who face racism. No harm is intended and my use of that term came from things I am reading that were written by black people. 

7 comments:

  1. Larry--
    Very thoughtful message. For me,the most important ingredient of your observations is the notion of looking to "self" not "others" to understand what anti-racism does and does not mean. I grew up in Philadelphia. My Father was the Superintendent of Prisons and our family was required by the then City Charter to reside on the grounds of one of the 5 institutions that he oversaw. We lived in a very large home that was served constantly by trustees--many of them African Americans from the lowest echelon of our economic society. To your point,I did not so much see myself as "advantaged" by my whiteness, my family position, income, education, etc but rather thought of these folks as "disadvantaged"--and, by extension--a condition that they needed to address. While I think we made progress on race issues in the 60's and 70's, your concept of things "tilting" is a good one: just because we resolved some of the more egregious examples of separatness, society has leaned in new and more subtle directions of tilt. There is an academic author named Charles Murray who wrote a book in 2010 titled " Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010". Murray is a controversial figure in the Black Community which is why this book exclusively deals with the decline of the non-college educated white males over the period referenced. His study involves real people from a suburb of Boston as well as the Kensington section of Philadelphia--the latter area with which I am quite familiar. Murray identifies the trends and the seeds of the grievance culture that seems to have occupied us here in the 21st century. It is worth a read by those interested in a little self examination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for addressing the very important issue of racism. We cannot expect progress on any topic about which we are unwilling to discuss.

    I grew up in Ann Arbor which is a quasi-suburb of Detroit (Lee Iacocca commuted to his jobs at Ford and Chrysler from Ann Arbor) and during turbulent times marked by many race riots. My elementary school was 55% black. My parents chose that neighborhood so my sisters and I would be required to learn about black lives from direct experience.

    I reject the fact that blacks are arrested and incarcerated at higher rates than whites or Asians as proof of racism and bias. Whites are jailed at higher per capita rates than Japanese Americans and I don’t think the system is prejudiced against Whites.

    Productivity and labor participation (contribution) is a key element of macroeconomics so your inclusion of the subject seems entirely fitting. If we are ever able to increase the economic contribution of all Americans in proportion to their individual potential, America will be a more successful, admirable and livable country.

    Much of the focus today is appropriately on disparities. We should also consider differences in culture, expectations and preferences. These are subjective and often exist outside the context of disparity but are legitimate subjects for debate and policy.

    It is intriguing to me that myself and many liberal acquaintances in Bloomington belong to a range of informal social groups. Mine includes a group of retirees who meet every Wednesday in the fall for a pondside campfire, a neighborhood group that meets periodically for dinner and wine tasting, and a group of former co-workers who follow business trends over a beer or two. All my groups are white, almost entirely male and mostly dominated by my generation. When I observe and enquire among my more liberal friends, their group compositions are similar. We have found ways to structure our social networks according to our phenotypes. I’m still questioning whether this suggests subtle or explicit racism and have not yet derived a conclusive answer.

    My point is, the issue is relevant, personal, national and carries enormous economic consequences.

    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment is from Jim Gibson.

    Bottom Line: It was and is a good blog. I came from a very bigoted town where people of color rode in the back of the bus and only came to the peninsula during work hours. Usually, these jobs were maids and yardmen.

    I had (still do) a dark complexion, White mothers would come and ask my mother if I was adopted. Mom was 2cnd generation Swedish. It took a while to establish friendships. By 6th grade, I dated a Jewish girl. My friends asked why and said bad things about Jews. However, later in high school, a few of us, including Dywane Almond, would go across the intercoastal to listen to some really good music played by a group of black men. Nobody could tell their parents

    The truth is that just creating housing, free food (as in Lyndon Johnson's Great Society) was no enough. My wife taught at a 60% people of color high school and I coached there for 2 years during the recession of 75. Segregation was put into play at this time. They had a great football team that brought us all together but there still was no follow-up beyond free food and dilapidated living with broken families. Vince Carter came from this school and many years later established a special school for kids at risk.

    There is a lot more that can be done and was during my children's school years most people of color worked well with white people and today the school produced the second-highest grade average and success in either going to college or trade schools in the country.

    Bottom Line free stuff does not work without a full program to address the problems and instilling the idea that one has to earn what they get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear LSD. A commendable and noble effort, taking on racism by being anti-racist in one’s own way. You obviously and purposefully did not provide specifics for obvious reasonz. A likely and simple ‘splanation could be that should you have provided specifics someone might have disagreed, argued you didn’t provide the ‘right’ specifics, and/or therefore label you ‘racist’—despite your good intentions. I provide this ‘splantion to exemplify how the word has been re- and ill-defined by leftists, regressives, and the woke crowdz to demonize, criticize, slander, and ostracize those they disagree with for any reason. ‘Racist/racism’ have lost their gravitas and are a quintessential example of semantic satiation.

    No doubt the U.S. has committed atrocious injustices (not just the U.S., BTW) and while their legacies are lasting the county has tried to right the wrongs: Much effort is still needed. But misappropriating language is gross malfeasance. We cannot effectively address problems unless correct wording/language is used to best accurately define/quantify problems. Calling someone a racist does not do that.

    Treating everyone no matter skin color, religion, national origin, body shape, hair/eye color, political affiliation, etc. with respect and dignity would be a good start toward your commendable and noble initiative to be anti-racist (and in society in general) in one’s own way. However, given that ‘racism/racist’ is thrown about capriciously and with reckless abandon like mullets in the annual Interstate Mullet Toss at the FLORA-BAMA Lounge, Package and Oyster Bar in Perdido Key, FL each spring don’t expect much progress in the matter, human nature and flying mullets being as they are. I would not recommend confronting a perceived racist by throwing a mullet in his/her face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Tuna, As usual you raise good points that help us move along in the discussion. As I said, each person should confront racist acts in their own way. I in no way recommend calling anyone a racist. In fact, much of what I was discussing had more to do with less direct or less blatant forms of racism. I have an appointment now and will return and write more later if I can think of anything more useful to say. Cheers.

      Delete