Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Moving Along

Note to the reader. This post is about death and dying. While I try to take a positive approach to this very personal and sensitive topic, it probably isn't for anyone. Take the week off if you think this might bother you. 

I am 75 now. It's no surprise. It came in bits and pieces one year at a time.

But I have to admit, it’s pretty different now and in some ways overwhelming.

We have always known that the day would come when the lights went out. When you were 14, it meant almost nothing to you. Getting a hit in your next Little League game meant a lot more.

And then life goes by. Education, love, marriage, career, fun, and so much more comes at you.  What a whirl. Some people you know die and you take a moment to process it, but it doesn’t have much to do with you. You learn to smell the roses and to take the good with the bad. You take one day at a time, but you don’t have the time or the interest to wonder about your own eventual demise and mortality.

The demise process is almost as daunting as the end. The lights going out seems scary enough. But lately I have been dwelling on the demise part. Getting run over by an Amazon delivery truck might be the way to go. It's quick and maybe your heirs can collect. You might not even know what hit you. Bam. So long.

But we all can’t be that lucky. I don’t know about you, but I must have a dozen little things that might get me in the end. When you are 75, there is one thing that is very true. Your body is 75 years old! No kidding. Your brain might think like a teen on steroids, but your body is 75 years old.

That means your skin and your organs and your glands and your bones and your teeth and all that stuff are 75 years old. It was probably meant to last 50 years but there it is – 75 years old. Sure, you can work out and you can apply creams and do a lot of things to slow the process down, but we don’t kid ourselves. These remedies apply only a bit of friction against the eventual decline of our many body parts.

My eyes started declining when I was 30. Today I can barely hear a freight train and don’t get me started on my prostate. What about all those brown aging spots? Dudes, it is all going and there is little we can do.

Luckily, a lot of these things are manageable. We can take some drugs and have surgery. I used the word demise above. We are demising for sure but the thing that sometimes keeps me awake at night is the actual process. The Amazon truck is one thing – it’s fast. But what about the slow alternatives? We all want a slow alternative that is not painful and wherein we have some brain functions left as we decline. But we have very little control over the last chapter. It might be painful. It might be perplexing and confusing. Not exactly the way we want it to end.

Some of you notice that I have ignored religion and afterlife. For many of you, there is much comfort in knowing that you will be moving along to heaven. The above is not, therefore, of much interest to you. I hope you are right, and I wish you bon voyage.

I am not sure what is left to say. I am not writing this because I have been diagnosed with something terminal. I hope to live a lot longer. I am writing this because this is a topic that no one wants to discuss. It is probably the best-kept secret out there. People who are very ill don’t want to scare everyone else. People who are worried they will soon be diminishing would rather talk about happier topics like Covid or Donald Trump.

I feel better having put my spin on Moving Along. I’d love for you to share your thoughts too.

One more point. This piece is not meant to be morbid. I don't know how you will react to it. My take is that we should enjoy that last chapter. Some people will want to fight to the very last gasp. Others will go more gently into that good night. Whichever it is, I want to be aware and I want to make the most of every moment. It might be a last chapter but it might also be a really good one. The alternative is that it will be the last chapter and a very bad one. I'd rather not go in that direction. 

16 comments:

  1. Maybe you can take comfort in your legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's satisfying since my main legacy is my kids and their families.

      Delete
  2. Dear LSD. Don’t-cha worry . . . be ‘appy.

    ‘appy ‘our soon . . . sooner here than there . . . . but, still, don’t-cha worry . . . be ‘appy.

    Health, wealth, ‘n ‘appyness may perish . . . but thirst is eternal.

    Chug-a-lug ‘n cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. During my physical when I turned 75, my cardiologist explained that the various things/ailments that I just got was a numbers game and I ask, "what game?". He said the 5 after the 7. It has taken 9 months and a few pharmaceuticals to bring things back to normal.....as long as I use these drugs.....oh yeah? blood thinner...If I am not careful about bumping into things I would look like a spotted cat. Good news is we have it all under control for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for tackling this.. just as I spent months facing a milestone birthday I too think about dying, about living, about quality of life and types of dying. To go quickly , no suffering is a gift! But saying goodbye well that can be a gift also ! Let’s focus forward ! And that includes the end ! Thanks Larry !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply Tracy. It is much appreciated. Hope to see you at the gym!

      Delete
  5. I think it takes a bit of courage to put one's thoughts on paper and in public on such a topic. But it is a most worthwhile conversation. I am regularly struck by the frequency of health related conversations one has in our age group and how different people approach the topic. It is more than a "glass half empty/half full"approach--it seems to say a lot about one's whole attitude toward the moment we are in.( I am reminded that science says my dogs do have memory but live entirely in the moment--an admirable way to go through life.) In my case, I seem to have less of a tolerance for issues that are negative or depressing to think about. I also notice that I have less tolerance for working into impedances that would have seemed just part of the the corporate life in earlier times. I am more willing to accept that others might have a difference of view and, at the same time, that I don't need to be mired in the debate. I am clearly unwilling to focus on the unpleasantness of a situation and am more likely to seek out situations where a calm, thoughtful, and educational interaction can be held. While I cherish most of what has been a very fortunate past, I don't focus on yesterday and am generally quite happy to think about the importance of today--and maybe a little about tomorrow--if it actually comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I am glad you found this topic worthwhile and you got a chance to add your thoughts. It sounds like you are making this chapter a good one! Best.

      Delete
  6. Hey Larry. My friend Chandler, friend of our mutual friend Lon told me today about your podcasts and forwarded this one to me, as promised. Back awhile, I became interested in this topic and found Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' books to be informative and comforting on the subject. I wish you well. I'm still active in my alcohol recovery fellowship which provides me with spiritually motivated folks willing to engage in topics of both daily living and even your topic today. My best regards to you and your family. Go Cavaliers !! Ed Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blast from the past. So nice to hear from you Ed. Give Lon my best regards too.

      Delete
  7. Larry, Wonderful blog and so timely for me. I am 78 and, while deemed "healthy," we know the truth. I am in decline. Like you, my legacy is my kids, successful, thoughtful, doing good things. I am the internal optimistic, can't wait for the next round of bad gold, spending the 401K way too fast, traveling lots! Your blog has attracted so many wonderful comments, all expressed better than my words. Dons't stop now. Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doober: no checking out until the reunion. Be well, my friend. And rest assured that many of us are in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesse. A leaky boat. But still afloat!
      Happy sailing.

      Delete