Tuesday, February 28, 2023

After Memory

I wrote about memory a few weeks ago. I hope it wasn't too depressing for you. 

This time I am writing about what I should be writing about. I used to write about macroeconomic policy. I kept up with the latest happenings in monetary and fiscal policy. I liked to play the sceptic role. As a policy conservative, I usually don't like what politicians do. I tried to be a critic. I tried to make it fun but still -- being a critic makes me feel negative. 

Don't get me wrong. I still don't like the policies of Biden and his buddies -- I just don't want to spend my time complaining about them. So I am trying to decide what to write about. It is not an easy decision. There are things I could write about that might bore you to tears. I don't want to do that. As my friend Barbara chides ---"its all abut you Larry" and I guess it is. 

But what is it about me that other people might connect to? I could write about my prostate but then that might not be a popular topic. I could write about the view from my window but that would get old very fast. If many of you are my age or closing in on my age, then health issues could be of some interest. Maybe there is a fun and positive way to write about all that but I haven't figured it out yet. 

So here I sit and wonder. Maybe I should write about being thankful. After all, I am almost 77 years old, don't yet require anyone to take care of my basic needs on a daily basis, and while my memory is a leaky valve, most of my other parts work reasonably well. I can still find the gym and my house on a daily basis and I hardly ever skip a meal.  And I am very lucky to have family and friends who put up with me and help me. And even love me. 

Speaking of the gym. Its two blocks from here. It mostly attracts older people but not exclusively. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The gym has an ample selection of free weights, machines, and a lot of bikes, treadmills, and so on.  I go there for the workout but I have to admit that it also substitutes for a country club. A lot of fraternizing goes on there. Some people hardly break a sweat but I suspect they are working hard on their jaw muscles. Of course, there are others who sweat and breathe hard and grunt and groan and all that. I fall somewhere in between those extremes. 

I see the Tuna is starting to nod off so I best beat a hasty retreat. Thanks for putting up with my nonsense. 

Where did February go? Hello March. 


5 comments:

  1. There should be emojis…oh, wait there are!👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear LSD. Glad yer blog is back. Yeah, it’s tuff to keep yer awdiance atuned ‘n udderwise interested in conservative policy/macro stuff . . . almost about as intriguing/compel’n as yer prostate, window views, part-time memory, the gym social life, etc. Heck, most guyz our age, all we gotta do to experience any of that is simply to look in de ole mirror dat don’t lie. You gotz lotz-0-company 😊.

    That you don’t want to complain ‘bout lying, plageriz’n, flaccid ‘n feckless, ‘n dolt Biden is unnerstandable . . . though there’ll be plenty-0-material to blog about ‘til Nov. 5, ‘24 ‘cuz him/his administration be the gift that keepz on giv’n. Like the Keystone cops ‘n Stooges combo in a Chinese fire drill on ground hawg day repeat’n over’n over agin. You play’d the skeptic/critic well, but as you imply, the pleasure in that role soon runz out when there is so much domestic political negativity . . . and geopolitical disruption/uncertainty due to the moronz at 1600 Penn Ave., D.C.

    On a ‘appier note, ‘appy ‘our soon! Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for yer usual astute insights. Cheerz back at you.

      Delete
    2. I also have a gym, lap pool, hot tub, Croquet courts directly across the street and a river (plus an ocean) on the east side. Bad knees got me started swimming so I gave up 50 mile bike rides and tennis. I play Croquet for socialization. Mostly I paint.,

      Delete
    3. I look out the window a lot. Also go to the gym and often walk around Green Lake. I aint complaining. Had some lovely Thai food out tonight. Burp.

      Delete