Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Food Glorious Food

I believe it was the musical Oliver where the cast sang the song Food Glorious Food. That was a long time ago but the song and some of the words have stayed with me. That's not by accident because the truth is that food is probably one of the most important aspects of my life. I can't remember a time when I was not hungry. Of course, right after sucking down a big steak or a large platter of pork ribs, I am clearly satiated. But that doesn't stop me from thinking about my next meal. 

I'll start this by pointing out that except for a few times decades ago I have never gone without a meal. While I don't eat much between meals, I will admit that my meals can be sumptuous.  There was a time when I thought I could use a diet to remove unwanted flab from my frame by skipping meals but those days are long over. 

The truly remarkable thing is how much I can eat. I recall once getting into a chili dog eating contest in Rockford, Michigan where I believe I ingested a dozen or so chili dogs. That was a special occasion and a little extreme but my family members can attest to my regular performances involving stuffed cabbage rolls, ribs, spaghetti, lasagna and many other foods.  

It seems that I always liked to eat a lot. But much changed when I went to Georgia Tech. Athletes at Tech had access to a dining room that basically kept food coming as long as you didn't pass out at the table. They served us at tables family style. They might place a large bowl of mashed potatoes on the table for 4 of us to share. When the bowl appeared to be close to empty -- the lovely waitresses would bring out another full bowl. And then another one. And so on. 

That was dinner. But they also gave us breakfast and lunch too. I remember well that Thursday lunch was sandwiches. The nice ladies would bring to the table platters of  luncheon meats and loaves of bread. Seems like the guys enjoyed sandwiches a lot and we could put away a lot of meats, cheeses, and breads. We could take some sandwiches back to the dorm in case we got hungry in between meals. 

I envy those people whose lives do not revolve around the timing of meals. I feel a little like Pavlov's famous dog who salivated after he rang a bell denoting meal time. There is no little bell but something goes off in my brain to alert me that the time is near for a meal. My friend Barbara, in contrast, could probably go all week without a meal. 

It's not just the amount of food. Some people can eat a lot because they have learned that its good to eat foods that are good for you. A second bowl of spinach is pretty harmless. And even though I love spinach it is not the type of thing that makes me want to have seconds. I want seconds of the things that either make you fat or they kill you. Give me a whole casserole tray full of baked macaroni and cheese or a full side of ribs. Wow. Now that's fun. 

Somehow I have made it to the ripe old age of 76. I doubt my eating habits are going to change very much though I am lucky to have a friend who helps me make better food choices.  I better go now. I am feeling a little hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment