Tuesday, November 8, 2022

November

This week's blog post is all about November. I am not sure how you relate to months or even if you do, but November is pretty special to me. 

My kids were born in November. One at the beginning and the other at the end of the month. Five years apart. Somewhere in between is Thanksgiving and right before November (at the end of October) is Halloween. All that is pretty cool. 

To make things even better, November is when the seasons change. The trees start changing colors and dropping their leaves. When I was a homeowner I didn't love raking all those leaves to the curb but it was a part of knowing that summer was definitely over and winter was on its way in. We had a very hot summer here in Seattle this year and so I am greatly enjoying the falling temperatures now. 

And then there is football. November means the end of the season is nearing and we will soon know the best teams. I recall my Georgia Tech freshman team playing Georgia on Thanksgiving each year. That was a big game! Forty thousand Atlantans showed up for those games -- even though it was only freshmen playing.  

Thanksgiving isn't as rewarding as Christmas but it is a great family celebration and features wonderful foods. There's nothing like pulling that big turkey out of the oven and scooping out all that delicious stuffing. Give me the turkey leg any day. And don't even talk about the skin. The meat is good but give me some of that that nice crispy skin. 

Just as the trees lose their leaves and the tree appears to die, we too arrive, blossom and then go. Sonny and Marge were the parents of me and my brother. Dasa departed a while ago but his and my children carry on. It's nothing to get depressed about. This process, like the trees and leaves, goes on and on. It is not personal. It is an ongoing process of change and renewal. 

So whether it is the trees or our families, November makes me think about all that. It's nice to spend a little time reflecting. I hope you enjoy November too!

2 comments: