Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Blogging Trivia

Since I am traveling and getting a bit lazy in my old age I thought I would give you a change of pace this week with some facts about this blog space.

I started blogging right after retiring from the Kelley School of Business in March of 2010. So the blog is about 4.5 years old.

The blog activity has accomplished what I had hoped. It gives me an excuse to hide in my home office and pretend to be working. It is also a way to keep up communications with friends, relatives, neighbors, former students, pole dancers, and other colleagues. 

During the last 4.5 years, with help from guest bloggers, we posted 267 articles that have received approximately 65,000 page views. We accomplished that without nudity or free drug distribution. 

People often respond to the blog with comments – we have posted approximately 2,100 comments. I have rejected very few comments – rejections come mostly because they feature advertisements.

Some people prefer to respond to my posts privately via email, threats of violence,  or gifts of JD. Either way is appreciated. 

While we can rightly support or not support various politicians, economists, ideas, policies, etc -- my blogging experience has taught me that nothing is simple in the real world and there is plenty of room for adults to hold on to their cherished beliefs. I am always amazed at how many ways there is to look at any fact or issue. Someone once said something like -- the more you  know the more you realize you don't know. That statement seems pretty true to me. Of course, there is always the problem of finding yourself in the garage and not knowing why you are there. That gets even trickier if you don't have a garage. 

None of that, however, keeps me from thinking that either side of the debate has to give up strong beliefs. Taking sides and arguing hard is the best way to learn. As such I enjoy my blogging and feel that I have benefited from our interactions. I hope you have too. 

Yes, I do enjoy Jack Daniels but will accept donations of any sort of brown liquor.

While the great majority of the viewers are from the USA, the remaining top destinations are South Korea, Ukraine, Russia, the UK, France, Germany, and China. 

I try to organize the blog posts by subject. On the right-hand-side of the blog is a list of those topics. I didn’t count them but I am guessing the number of topics is just under 100. For each blog post I usually assign two or three topics.

The top 6 posts in terms of number of page views are:
The G20 Blame Game, September 10, 2013
Negative Real Interest Rates Cannot Exist, June 3, 2012
Inflation History Lesson: From the Frying Pan to the Fire and Back Again, May 21, 2013
Why We are Lousy Investors by Guest Blogger Robert Klemkosky, April 23, 2013
Let the Money Weaning Begin, November 12, 2013
Don’t Stop Believein’ by Guest Blogger Jerry Lynch, September 3, 2013             








2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being 4 1/2.......again! Keep the Depends near the JD. I always enjoy your ideas although I don't always understand what you say and sometimes have trouble staying awake while reading. I still believe you switch places with Andrew Luck on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can walk the 100 yard dash in about five minutes. Luck is safe.

      Delete