Tuesday, July 26, 2022

What's It all About Alfie?

That title is misleading but those words came to mind as I was thinking of a title. It was a good movie and a great song. 

Maybe a simpler title would be What's It All About? More specifically, I was born in 1946 and I was wondering what I should have learned during all those years between then and now. 

I will admit that one personal issue is memory. What I learned is not necessarily what I remember. But that's another issue that we can leave aside today. 

Being born in 1946 means that World War II had passed and is only a story that my parents told me. I read about it in school too. But WWII was not really my thing. It was before me. I am not trying to diminish WWII as I know it had big impacts on many of you who are still alive. It just wasn't my thing. My Dad came back from the war and life went on. 

Hopefully wars and similar one-time events do not define us nor tell us what it is all about. I went to Vietnam in an Air Force uniform but I lived and I don't think it defines me in any particular way. Luckily I spent most of my time there in an office and was not involved with with fighting. So I don't think Vietnam defined me. It did cause me to have an international experience and to meet and get to know some really special Vietnamese people. 

There is always religion. For many people accepting Christ or otherwise following spiritual paths is what its all about. In college I was mesmerized by a Christian evangelist but that didn't last very long.  I like to think I am a good person even though I am pretty much an agnostic. I doubt that tells me what its all about. 

It could be all about fame and riches. I doubt either one of those dimensions defines me. I am pretty much in the middle of the road on either of those scores. Some friends would acknowledge that I am famous but only in my own mind. :-)

Another value might relate to being a good family member. Maybe that's the toughest one of all. Divorces are on my permanent record and I doubt I have been the model father or grandfather. I'd like to think I have tried but some would say I didn't try hard enough. 

What it is all about might be finding a way to make use of the precious time we have to live life in a way that let's us sleep at night. Few of us will get it right the first time. But hopefully we converge on something good. 

As in baseball, we come to bat and strike out. We try to learn from out mistakes so next time we get a walk or a hit. Unless we do something really terrible most of us get a second or third chance. 

Seems to me -- that's what is is all about. We get a chance to bat and we try to learn from our mistakes and failures. So long as we keep trying, that seems to me to be the best we can do.  

12 comments:

  1. When we are born, we cry and those around us smile.

    Hopefully, we live our lives so that when we die we smile and those around us cry.

    Wutz it all about? ‘appy ‘our is about ‘round de ol korner. Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda thought you might bring in happy hour Tuna. You ain't philosophical but you have a good point. If you can't find some pleasure and happiness then it seems a bit pointless.

      Delete
  2. Before I attended Gables my family lived in North Miami and as a soph I attended North Miami Senior High School. But before that I played Little League baseball and once when at bat I faced a 3/2 count. No way I was doing anything but taking on the next pitch and no one was shocked it was a ball. As I was trotting down to first base the coach on the other team screamed at me 'you were lucky that was a ball, a good pitcher like Carlton would have struck you out'. Steve Carlton set too many pitching records to list including four Cy Young Awards and multiple others.

    Point is while I did get multiple at bats I have always been happy that for almost all of them I was not facing Carlton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky you didn't face me. I probably hit more betters than I struck out.

      Delete
    2. Hope spell check or a typo is in that post as I definitely don't think I am one of your "betters". Sorry but my OCD got the best of me.

      As an aside in addition to all the major league records Carlton holds his 90 balks is twice the second place Bob Welch number.

      Delete
    3. I meant batters. That's a lot of balks.

      Delete
  3. I like the philosophical economist! And I agree , as one in her 60s, I find myself reflecting on significant catalysts of the last 50 years, and grateful for 2nd and 3rd at bats! You should take more vacations 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bigger question, IMHO, what are we batting for? If we are batting for leaving this earth a better place than what was handed to us; then our lives have a sense of purpose. Without purpose, life is meaningless. Anyone who lives their life without purpose; leaves no impact and waste their life. Their living made no difference for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I couldn't agree more. At one level we need to be fulfilled and happy. At another, we need to have a bigger purpose. One without the other doesn't seem to make sense.

      Delete
  5. I agree with much of what you say here — “we try to learn from our mistakes” and keep on moving forward. I’ll add — For me, it’s about being a good person, loving those who we believe in and making a “Difference” for the remaining years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I said to Anon above -- its good to try to be happy but part of that should be the kind of service you mention. Thanks!

      Delete